Garage Doors FAQ'sHave a question about new garage doors? Here are some answers
Garage Doors FAQ’s
Do you have questions about new garage doors for your home or business? You are not alone!
Purchasing new garage doors is an investment for your home and you want to make sure you choose the proper one for your home and needs. Read below some of our most asked questions, and answers to help make your purchase easier.
How do I Measure for a New Garage Door?
When you contact DoorTech Sudbury for your garage door, we will do all measurements for you.
If you do want to measure on your own, take these exact measurements:
- the opening width and height
- the distance from the edge of the opening to the garage wall or other obstruction such as shelving
- the distance from the top of the garage door opening to the ceiling
- the depth into the garage (the overall distance from the opening of your garage to the back wall
A standard lift door requires 12″ of headroom and a low headroom door requires 6″ of headroom. If the garage door is motor operated, an additional 2″ of headroom is needed. Standard garage door sizes for door widths are 8 feet, 9 feet, 10 feet, 12 feet, 14 feet, 15 feet, 16 feet, and 18 feet.
What are the main garage door styles?
The main garage door styles are roll-up, sliding, swing out and swing up.
- Swing-up: garage doors tilt backwards and lift toward the roof of the garage
- Roll-up: rolls up like a curtain shade
- Sliding: doors move apart horizontally and slide back into the sides of the garage wall
- Swing out: opens toward the exterior of the garage and then slides back into the interior of the garage
What material is best for my garage door?
Depending on your budget, garage door materials will influence your purchasing decision.
- Wood composite is a lower cost material, is eco-friendly and you can paint on it. Custom wood is more elegant than wood composite but is more of an investment.
- Steel garage doors are inexpensive and a popular choice because of the cost. Steel doors do need more insulation, however.
- Vinyl is a great option because it is durable and some people like the look of it more than steel.
How do I know if I Need a New Garage Door or Service?
If your garage door isn’t working properly, that doesn’t necessarily mean you need a garage door replacement, you might need a repair call.
There are several things to look at to consider maintenance/ service for your garage door:
- Door won’t open or shut properly
- Rusty or bent door springs
- Stuck door
- Bent door
- Unusual noises when you open the door
If you aren’t sure if you need service for your garage door, or you need a total replacement, contact us and we would be happy to provide you with a free consultation.
Do you have more questions about garage doors?
We want to help! Please contact us today for more details on new doors for your home garage, or to ask any question you might have.
DoorTech Sudbury provides new garage door installation in Sudbury, Chelmsford, Val Caron, Lively, Garson, Timmins and Huntsville area. We also help homeowners and building owners by providing service and repair on garage doors. We are here to help you.